Dog Agility News/Links: Jun-Nov
26 Nov 2013
Since Meeker’s diagnosis with lymphoma back in July I had been updating the AgilityNerd Facebook page more than posting here on my blog. So here are the interesting courses, training tips, organization rule changes and links that you might have missed:
- USDAA equipment specification changes.
- I'm all about improving obstacle safety here is a discussion/video of a dog injured by tunnel bag that collapsed a tunnel.
- Discussion of the dangers to handlers around teeters
- Video of Meeker playing with his brothers during his first lymphoma remission - they didn't warn us we needed to be extra careful about his compromised immune system. He got a staph infection in his elbows a few days later...
- Ian Watson photo montage of Jürgen Ketschker doing his "move".
USDAAannounced the addition of 14" and 18" jump heights and some other tweaks. My unofficial survey showed a lot more support for AKC/ UKIjump height cut offs. And no doing that doesn't turn USDAA into AKC! Jump heights/cutoffs aren't what makes each organization unique! It is the course designs and the rules of the games that makes each one special. Lisa Frickand Hoss winning large dog jumping at the European Open. As I commented: " I just love how she trusts Hoss. This run is all about: cue the jump - trust the dog - MOVE to the next obstacle. Love it!!!! She never waits and it doesn't hurt that she is fast too! Almost 0.5 sec ahead of 2nd place even with the near off course at the end."
- Flyer's running A Frame after 4-5 weeks without practice.
Gabi Steppanposted a really nice flowing and technical Luxembourg Open Agility course.
- I started online video coaching!!
- I posted my backyard variation of Gabi Steppan's course.
- Was in an accident in my Honda Odyssey while driving with Flyer. We were both mostly OK (my hand burned by the airbag) and as of today it is fixed, and insurance companies have almost settled.
- I posted even morebackyard variation of Gabi Steppan's course.
- Discussion of walking through the motions on the sidelines before you run.
- Decided not to take Meeker to Cynosports.
AKCrevises break away tire requirements.
- Some pet insurance thoughts for Flyer.
Ann Croftposted a nice Happy Hurdle Day course.
- USDAA posted some regional courses and the Masters Challenge Jumpers course had a
- AgilityNerd's 9th birthday here's what was on the front page back then.
- Drawing circles on course maps to determine where to place your cross.
- Don't forget the AgilityNerd email list - find out about seminars and lessons first!
- Another Ann Croft course along with my thoughts on how you might fit it in a smaller space.
- Check out the USDAA Cynosport large dog jumpers course at this link.
- Convert your Android phone into an agility timer using this free app.
- A photo of what the dog's saw as they approached the teeter in the Cynosport GP finals. Many, many flyoffs of that teeter.
- AKC Agility Regulation changes that go into effect Jan 2014.
- Our last video of Meeker when he got to play outside a little with his brothers.
- Meeker lost his fight against lymphoma.
- Milo turns 15
Steve & Flyer Doing a Ketschker
Jenny Dammposted a nice international course.
- Video of Meeker howling along with the fire truck sirens.
- Clean Run magazine is offering a free issue online!
- June in August: AgilityNerd Elsewhere
- Meeker's USDAA Return - RACE Agility 2011-Jan
- Contact Sports Agility USDAA Trial - With Video
- ADCH Meeker and Qualified for Nationals