Weave entries/exits from Courtney Keys' UKI Midwest Cup Masters Series Jumpers
01 Oct 2021
I always enjoy running Courtney Keys’ courses. She has a really good sense for appropriate challenges for the venue and level of competition. At a “Cup” competition you should expect challenges like you’d find at a national event. This course had some obvious and more subtle challenges.
Here’s the course map (you’ll see in my video the weaves and jump 7/16 were rotated more parallel to the back of the ring)
Before reading on, what areas would challenge your team? How you would handle it?
From my memory these were the most common failure points:
- The spacing/location of jumps 4/5 was challenging to threadle for the big dogs with with dog on right (I pushed Snap! to the far wing and curly-q’d the far wing).
- Hitting the weave entry/without an off course or refusal
- The distance from 12-13 caused some wrong sides on 13 and even some off courses to jump 17.
- Dropped bars/wrong sides on jump 14.
- 16-19 was a long line and wrong side/bar down on 17
Here’s video of Snap! and me with two camera angles! There are some good moments and I’ve added comments on my handling mistakes:
I wanted to set this up in my much smaller back yard so I came up with a smaller version that has some of the same challenges as Courtney’s original course:
Here’s my version that approximates her sequence:
I’ve shot a lot of video of us practicing on it, maybe I’ll put it in a video and add it here in the future.
Once you’ve mastered that sequence then give these a try:
I hope you’ll set these up and conquer the challenges!
- Emily Klarman - UKI Masters Agility/Jumpers - Video & Analysis
- Elizabeth Diehl - Masters Challenge Jumpers - Video and Analysis
- Frank Holik Masters Challenges Jumpers - Video
- Scott Lovelis - Masters Challenge Standard/Jumpers
- "Jumperified" Dana Pike Advanced/Masters Sequences
- Challenging Dana Pike Advanced/Masters Sequences