02 Apr 2013
Most of my non-AgilityNerd blog dog agility activity in March was around Internationalization; but there were also the AKC National Agility Championships, courses, handling and training philosophy discussions too:
- AgilityNerd is also on twitter.
- What happens when a dog crashes a one piece jump.
- Lot of blogs contributed to Internationalization Blog Action Day.
- My response to the overreaction on the AGILEDOGS email list to internationalization:
This international thing is getting a little tense on the AGILEDOGS email list… Here’s my email comment:
Rather than continuing to speculate on what AKC might or might not do I strongly recommend everyone who is concerned listen to Carrie DeYoung from AKC discuss how they are evaluating possible changes. There are no changes so far and the demo courses are still very far from anything you’d see in Europe. I doubt very much AKC is going to make any sweeping changes. Here is the interview:https://baddogagility.com/episode-31-how-does-internationalization-impact-dog-agility/
Please listen to how she states repeatedly how AKC is for all dogs. It seems to me she has the current competitors very much in mind.
I also recommend reading Susan Garrett’s post where she describes the win out system in Europe and contrasts it with the titling based systems here. I think it gives a very balanced overview:https://susangarrettdogagility.com/2013/03/what-does-internationalization-in-dog-agility-really-mean/
Lastly, please read Team Small Dog just to keep everything in perspective:http://blog.teamsmalldog.com/2013/03/blowback-trending-manifestic-call-to.html
- AKC NAC Courses
- Awesome training sequence
- Agility thought for the day: You never know what challenges a handler and dog have overcome just to step to the line. Be kind and be thankful.
- Smaller space practice sequence
- "Action" photos of me teaching a Handling Seminar at TCDTC - those should motivate me to get in shape... A really nice group of people and dogs, looking forward to coming back!
- Susan Garrett's D.A.S.H. (Desire-Accuracy-Speed-Habitat) is usually about the dog. But IIRC she means for it to apply to the handler too. Here is a link she sent me that I posted on FB. Reader Willy D. also posted these links to Susan's articles on this subject:
- Backyard Dogs Practice Sequences - 2018 March
- NDAL 2016 March 50x50 Int'l Course Analysis/Video
- Flyer's Third Birthday and First AKC Trial - Video
- Dog Agility News/Links: Jun-Nov
- June in August: AgilityNerd Elsewhere
- May Days: Elsewhere in May