Exercises from USDAA SE Regionals Grand Prix - Video
10 Jun 2011
The USDAA Southeastern Regionals were streamed live on CynosportTV (free!) last weekend. I was interested in a couple of the courses and saw a number of handlers have problems that I wanted to work on. So I took some of the challenges from the Grand Prix Round 2 course by Mark Wirant and put them into a smaller training course:
Some of the challenges you can work on (white circle numbers) include:
- Don't Lead Out so you can simulate how many handlers were behind on the weave approach and the approach to the weaves (the dog enters the weaves and you cross behind the dog so the weaves and your dog are on your right). That is the red handling in the On Side Entrance diagram of my Weave Pole Entrance Challenges article.
- Get ahead of your dog and on the approach to the weaves.
- Do you have to go all the way to the end of the weaves?
- Stay behind on the approach to jump 9 and Rear Cross into the . A surprising number of handler didn't push forward enough to show their dogs the back side of jump 10 and the dog took the wrong side of 10.
- How early can you leave jump 7 to get into position to Front Cross the take off of jump 9?
- You need to get a tight wrap of 12 and not have your dog take the off course weaves. But you also need to get ahead to get to 13... a balancing act.
I’ve shown jump 4 in two locations, by changing the location you can make the Rear Cross weave approach more challenging.
The black circles give you another set of challenges on the opening. The weaves “to nowhere” was another challenge from the IHC Standard class course on Saturday. You need to choose when to change sides on the weaves. This is a sequence where having really independent weaves and where the handler can stay at the start of the weaves you really have an advantage on the opening of this course.
Here is video of me and Meeker giving them a try on a brutally hot and humid morning:
Give it a whirl!
- USDAA NE Regionals IHC Jumpers - Video
- 2011 USDAA North Central Regionals
- Our 2013 USDAA NC Regionals: Bah Bye - Videos
- Contact Sports Agility USDAA Trial - With Video
- Meeker Qualifies for Steeplechase and Grand Prix
- Peggy Hammond - USDAA Courses 2010-03 - Annotated Video