Dearlove Nested Class Course - Apr 25 & May 2 2005
23 Apr 2005
I designed this week’s course to: introduce the table and continue work on jumps and the tunnel for beginners, 270 Jump Handling variations for intermediate teams, and Front Cross to “Across the Feet” for the advanced teams. Here is the obstacle setup for all three courses:
- Introduce the Pause Table
- Work on jumps with the dog on both sides
- Work on extending and bending the tunnel
- Discuss/Introduce the Lead Out
- Fast Sits
- Fast Downs
- Stays - begin working on a Lead Out
This course is setup to have the handlers try three different 270 Degree jump Handling methods as described in this article:
- Jump 3 to Jump 4 use a
- Jump 6 to Jump 7 use a landing side
- Jump 11 to Jump 12 use a take off side Front Cross
I’ve put the two harder handling approaches after the table to allow the handler to use a Lead Out to assist them if necessary.
Discuss the advantages of each handling approach with respect to the tightness of the lines and whether or not they setup the dog correctly for the next obstacle in the sequence.
- 270 Handling
The primary challenge on this course is the off course jump shown with the “X” when going from jump 2 to jump 3 and from jump 13 to jump 14.
As usual have the handlers walk and run it anyway they like. Then propose handling it by either using a Lateral Lead Out to past jump 2 or pre-cueing a Front Cross for jump 2. Handlers should try to get to the “X” and use an Inside Arm as though they were performing a to keep the dog on a left lead to jump 3 and into the tunnel. If the handler has a good send to the tunnel they can just “cut and run” and pickup the dog on the landing side of jump 5. Otherwise they can Rear Cross on the take off side of jump 3 and once the dog is in the tunnel run for jump 5.
I believe Guy Blanke would call this act of drawing the dog across the handler’s body an “Across the Feet”. If the handler subsequently crossed behind the dog I think you could call this a pre-cued Rear Cross.
- Work on Inside Arm "Across the Feet"
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - May 10 & 17 2005
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - May 23 & June 6 2005
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - Apr 11 & 18 2005
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - May 4 & 11 2006
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - May 25 & June 1 2006
- Dearlove Nested Class Course - Oct 3 & Oct 10 2005