Jump Wraps, Threadles and More - 6-Oct-2010
06 Oct 2010
Here are a couple interesting sequences for working on For Your Canine. I didn’t have time to make fancy handling diagrams so use your imagination from my notes…, and general handling I threw together for my classes at
Some handling notes:
- 1-2-3: Handlers much faster than their dogs could handle it as a with the dog on their right the whole way. But the handler has to be past 2 on the way to 3 before the dog commits to 2 or you'll have a collision. Otherwise start dog on left and between 2 and 3.
- Watch the line you set from 3-4 or dogs could be sent into the tunnel.
- Front Cross over 7. You want the dog to know they are turning before they take the jump.
- You want a tight turn at 9 (a wrap), wide turns sent some dogs into the wrong end of the tunnel. So either two jump wraps back to back (single sided Threadle handling) or patience by the handler and calling the dog into the handler between 8 and 9.
- Front Cross after the weaves or Front Cross before the weaves and Push on last pole to avoid the off course tunnel.
- Dog on left through tunnel 15.
- Either on take off of jump 16 and to 17 or Front Cross out of tunnel and jump wrap at 16. Then drive forward dog on left to 17.
This is almost the reverse of sequence 1. Some handling notes:
- 1-2-3: dog on left, cue front cross jump wrap over 2 so dog is on right to tunnel.
- Dog on right through tunnel #6. The front cross before the weaves tightened the line and helped less experienced dogs find the entry.
- The fun part is 9-10-11. The best solution is to cue a jump wrap over 9 turning the dog to the left on your left arm. Then just backup keeping the dog on your left arm and wrap jump 10. Then just Shoulder Pull 180 degrees to take the dog over jump 11. Some handlers used Across The Feet to rear cross 11, but why put yourself behind?
- The approach to the dog walk is sharp so help the dog have a good approach! If you have more space you should tweak the course to give a better approach.
- Dog on left all the way to 15. Go for the Front Cross between 15 and 16!
Please leave me a comment on how you did!
- More Weave Entrance/Exit Handling - 29-Sep-2010
- Advanced Class: Just Ugly! - 17-Nov-2010
- Jumpers with Weaves, Serpentines, Wraps and a Threadle - 13-Oct-2010
- Advanced Class: More This and That - 22-Dec-2010