Small Space Masters Handling Seminar Sequences
27 Apr 2017
Here are my small space masters handling “Steeplechase-ish” courses from my fun weekend of seminars with Talcott Moutain Agility Club in Manchester, CT. The facility was 45’ by 60’ and I squeezed a lot of handling into this space! You could flip a couple numbers to the opposite side if you are looking for more “International” style challenges.
When I teach this seminar I focus on the team’s execution; I want clean, clear execution, with the handler using their cues and moving on as their dog is committed to the obstacle. I also have teams work on multiple handling options, especially ones they normally wouldn’t try, so you should do the same!
In the course setup below I used 4 foot bars and 1 foot jump wings. I definitely tweaked the obstacle locations to suit my needs and to keep dogs safe, don’t be afraid to make changes:
Here’s the first sequence:
Some handling thoughts:
- Start dog on left slice jump 1 toward 2
- Blind Cross 4-5? OR send to 3 and drive with dog on left and Push to 5 (depends on how you have jumps set up). 2-3 drive down line to 5 dog on right.
- Support 6 and Front/Blind to 7. Ideally want to get to landing side of 8.
- Front/Blind 8 - stay tight to line.
- Easy-peasy through 11.
- How much collection does your dog need at 12? How will you cue it?
- Decide which side of 16 you want to be on. I prefer controlling the dog's line out of the tunnel, so take off side for me. But could stay landing and Blind Cross on approach to 17.
- Front/Blind 17-18 to set line to back side of 19? Or stay dog on left and treat like a ?
- Depending on your obstacle spacing you might want to skip 20.
Here’s my second sequence:
- Start dog on left and, depending how much energy you need to put into your dog, you can Front/Blind cross on either side of 2 and drive to 3.
- Front/Blind 4-5.
- Pull dog in to get to take off side of 6(?)
- Front Cross on landing of 6 to keep dog's line tight to Push to back of 7.
- Keep connection with dog from exit of weaves to tunnel - we heavily reward dog's contact performances.
- Rear Cross take of side of 11. Blind/Front could be possible...
- Support A Frame but don't step in and then out...
- Support back side of 14 and Front Cross over jump to set line to 15.
- Forward send/spin? at 16 to get turn to 17.
- Which side of 18 do you want to be on? Depending on your layout getting to take off side might work nicely...
- Front Cross landing of 20 to set line to 21. Blind is possible too.
Here’s a fun, fast final sequence:
- Same opening options as sequence 2. What if you move #3 to the other side?
- Get to exit of tunnel to set line to 6-7 with dog on right.
- Front Cross on landing of 8 to keep dog's line tight to 9. Could cue tight wrap on 8 and dog on right to 9 and Rear Cross into weaves.
- Draw dog from exit of weaves and push over 11.
- Landing or take off side of 13? Same handling options as sequence 1 through to 17.
- Front Cross into 18 and move!
- Front/Blind/Rear into 19/20.
I hope you set these up and have some fun and challenges running them!
- Small Space Front/Rear Cross Seminar Sequences
- Full & Small Space Sequences
- Fun Small Space Courses With Handling Options - Annotated Video
- Starters/Advanced/Masters Challenge Small Space Courses
- Eleven Starters/Advanced/Masters Small Space Courses
- Full Size and Small Space Sequences