Fun Small Space Courses With Handling Options - Annotated Video
08 Jul 20122012-Jul-08 Updated with Video containing slow motion and annotations
I extracted this smaller sequence from my class course last night at For Your K-9. This sequence contains a , , a and has multiple handling options. There are also alternate versions for the same setup.
You can also make this layout take less space by removing the tunnel and obstacle #10; thereby wrapping jump #9 360 degrees and going from 9 to 11. If you don’t have a teeter a chute or spread jump can be used in its place.
Here are some handling strategies for the black numbers:
- 1-2-3 dog on handler's left.
- Use a Single Sided Threadle for 3-4 and rotate forward at 4 (dog on left over 4).
- You can either:
- Push the dog to the back side of 5 and treat 4-5-6 as a Single Sided Serpentine (dog stays on handlers left)
- Move through the gap between 4 and 5 and on the take off side of 5 (dog on handler's right) - got to move! Then push over 5 and pull toward 6. (dog is on handler's right)
- Which ever side of 6 you are on Wrap the dog with a Front Cross Jump Wrap and run! No need to hang around - 7-8 is a straight line
- If you have dog on right: you can get ahead and either Front cross or Ketschker on the take of side of jump 9
- If you have dog on left: you have more options:
- Faster than your dog? Treat 7-8-9 as a Single Sided Serpentine and keep the dog on your left arm all the way to 10!
- Not quite as fast? You can the take off side of 8 and 9 (that turns the dog to their right over jump 9. Crossing on the landing side of 8 or 9 is a lousy path.
- The rest is easy-peasy. Set the dog's line to 11 and then Front Cross on the landing from 11 to 12. Then dog on left to the finish.
Here are Meeker and I running three handling options:
Looking for more options? move one cone from one side of the jump to the other as shown by the colored numbers and re-run. That gives you five more challenging combinations.
There are plenty of other combinations. I hope you enjoy this mini course as much as my student’s liked the full course!
- Full Size and Small Space Sequences
- Advanced Class: Kinda Evil Courses - 09-Feb-2011
- WAO Team USA Practice Inspired Course - Video
- All In One Courses - Big & Small Spaces