Dana Pike - Awesome International Sequence - With Video
22 Aug 2011
Updated 30-Aug-2011: Added video showing four handling options
Dana had played around with it using a number of different handling options and I really liked her handling ideas. Here’s how I handled it based on her thoughts:
- Leave dog in the weaves and on the landing side of 2 to turn the dog to 3.
- Then get a head check and push to the back side of 4 while around the jump upright. This puts the handler on the take off side of 4 and the dog on the handler's right on the landing side of 4.
- Hustle ahead and pick up the dog on the handler's right side coming over jump 5 (i.e. "Serp"/"Scoop" jump 5)
- Approaching the jump 6 upright decelerate and Shoulder Pull to the left. Raise left arm to indicate a Ketschker. to the dog's left. As the dog takes the jump turning to their left the handler moves forward; completing the
- Dog on handler's right and push to the of jump 7.
- Drive forward to Front Cross Jump Wrap 8.
- I then pushed to the back side of the jump to 9 (staying on the landing side) and slid across the face of the jump so Meeker was on my left arm as he landed.
- Then I pushed to the back side of the jump to 10 and Front Crossed across the face of the landing side so Meeker was on my right arm as I turned to the tunnel.
It was exhilarating to work such a handling-intensive sequence at speed and have it work too! If you are short on space you need only set up starting at jump 3. I might set it up in the yard again to try a couple other options…
I did set it up and shot some video as the sun was going down. First using the handling described above and then three other ways I made up. Here you go: