All In One Courses - Big & Small Spaces
11 Feb 2013
Here’s my “action packed” class course from last week at FYK9 from which I also created a small space sequence. These courses contain a bunch of handling challenges including: a Jump Grid, , Pin Wheels, , , , and Pull Throughs.
Here’s the full size course - the white circles are how we ran it the first time and you can substitute the black circles for obstacles 12 and 13 to make it harder. If you don’t have/like a short chute at obstacle 8 you can substitute a curved tunnel.
Here are some notes on handling this course:
- I prefer dog on right 1-4 and the take off of 4 to turn the dog to the A Frame. It gave a tight turn and didn't require the handler to lead out/get past jump 3 before the dog. Although you should be able to run it from either side.
- Dog on left through chute (although if you have independent weaves you could fade right from the weaves and pick up the dog at the far side of the chute entrance from the end of the weaves) - but then you have to be able to push the dog out to 9.
- Faster than the dog? Could Blind Cross exit of chute and handle 9-10-11 with dog on left (landing side of 9)
- Otherwise take off of 9 and run 10-11 dog on right. Do not hesititate! Get ahead so you can push over 11 to 12.
- Need to cue a at 12 and again at 13 (turn dog to left at 13). Make sure you get the dog's head as you run around/past off course black 13 on the way to 14.
- Front Cross between 14-15 or if much faster than the dog handle 14-15-16 with dog on left - like a Single Sided Serpentine.
- Long, three jump Single Sided Threadle 17-18-19 - should be able to get first two jumps while moving backwards with good clear cues.
- Wrap jump 19 and Rear/Front Cross 20 to turn to the tunnel.
At lot of handling in a short sequence; but you can do it!
Here’s a smaller space sequence containing many of the big course’s challenges:
Small Space Course
Hope you enjoy it!
- Small Spaces: Run Both Sides
- Fun Small Space Courses With Handling Options - Annotated Video
- Advanced Class: Not Evil Courses - 16-Feb-2011
- Advanced Class: Kinda Evil Courses - 09-Feb-2011